Friday 20 May 2016

Book Review: The One We Fell In Love With by Paige Toon

Phoebe is caught between a rock and a hard place. Settle down and get married, or return to the French Alps to pursue her passion?
Eliza is in love with someone who is no longer hers. In fact, he probably never was… And her dream of becoming a successful musician seems to be vanishing before her eyes.
Rose is out of a job and out of a boyfriend. To make matters worse, she’s been forced to move back in with her mother…
But these very different girls have one thing in common. Angus. The one they fell in love with…

Thank you so much to the author and Simon & Schuster UK for the very lovely proof copy. I am privileged!

Oh swoon! Get your tissues ready, and be prepared to howl with anguish/laughter/anger/laughter.

Sibling rivalry is rampant in the Thomson family. Triplets who are only identical in looks, and in their taste in men - one man in particular. In every other way they are dramatically different. No one can say no to Phoebe, nor do they want to; Rose is sometimes 'prickly' but practical, and Eliza is the rock chick who hasn't found her place yet. I think she is my favourite, as she seems so often to be on the outside of her sisters, who are very close.

And they are all in love with Angus (so am I!).

The story does flit between timelines, which I did find a little hard to keep up with, but that was probably because sometimes I had to read a couple of chapters at a time, so I lost the thread a little. It was still great to read, and when I was able to read it in bigger chunks, I was totally immersed in the story and the characters.

I have to confess I kind of guessed what was happening later in the book, but only cos I am such a drama queen myself, and I'm always looking for what could happen. It was written with a good deal of sympathy, and I really felt for poor Angus. Toby is adorable too, even if his method of transport is a skateboard! Watching as the characters learn more about themselves and reconcile their differences, is fascinating.

It's another fabulous story from Paige Toon, who is now one of my favourite authors.

You can buy the book here (other retailers are available!).


No comments:

Post a Comment