Wednesday 9 March 2016

Book Review: The Sun in Her Eyes by Paige Toon



I know I'm a little late to the party with this one, but with so many books to read... well, you know!

I loved this book. It shows the different relationships between friends and family, and how people grow and change within these relationships.

What Amber does later on may be shocking to some, but her character is portrayed refreshingly sympathetically, showing her conflict in emotions and the consequences. I love that she isn't written as a perfect MC who can do no wrong, but someone who has flaws and has responsibility for her own actions.

The other characters are drawn well too, and I find my allegiances with certain characters changing as the story develops.

I also loved the setting of Adelaide, a place I visited many years ago. It brought back many memories for me, and I had to resist the urge to shout out 'I've been there!' as I recognised place names. Especially as I ended up reading the last half of the novel in one go through the night, with my husband snoring beside me. He would not have appreciated me waking him up.

The only slight negative - and it is slight - I have is the 'secret', which personally I found a little of an anticlimax. Saying that, there is plenty of other drama throughout the novel.

A great book, and I shall definitely be reading more of Paige Toon's novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment